Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities has been functioning from the inception of the university in 1995. Faculty has 08 departments. At present, the faculty is located in distinct building near – the University Playground. At present, the Faculty has a student population of around 1519. The current intake was 490 students.
Undergraduate degrees offered by the faculty:
1. Bachelor of Arts Degree Program (SLQF Level5 -three years)
2. Bachelor of Arts (Honors) Degree Programs (SLQF Level 6-four years)
The Faculty conducts the B.A Degree Program with the support of all the Departments in the Faculty, while the BA Honors Degrees in relevant subjects are conducted as follows:
Department of Archaeology & Heritage Management
Bachelor of Arts Honors in Archeology and Heritage Management (Sinhala Medium)
Department of Economics
Bachelor of Arts Honors in Economics (English Medium)
Department of English Language Teaching
General English for both Bachelor and Honors’ Degree Programs
Department of Environmental Management
Bachelor of Arts Honors in Environmental Management (English Medium)
Department of Humanities
Bachelor of Arts Honors in History (Sinhala Medium)
Bachelor of Arts Honors in Mass Communication (Sihnala Medium)
Department of Information Technology
Computer Studies for both Bachelor and Honors’ Degree Programs
Department of Languages
Bachelor of Arts Honors in Sinhala (Sinhala Medium)
Department of Social Sciences
Bachelor of Arts Honors in Sociology (Sinhala/ English Medium)
OBJECTIVES OF THE FACULTY
The objectives of the Bachelor of Arts Degree program and Bachelor of Arts (Honors) Degree
programs the Rajarata University of Sri Lanka is to produce graduates who would be able to;
- Identify local and international social and cultural potentials perfectly and have sound knowledge, skills and self confidence to alter and develop them according to the necessity.
- Possess a balanced education to develop and broaden their perception of the inherent inter- relationship between the physical and spiritual needs.
- Not only master a specific area of artistic creation, but also to connect that area with other forms of artistic expression and to develop skills of Interpretation as well as creativity.
- Be a well equipped person with necessary knowledge, skills, competencies, attitudes and social responsibilities, capable of developing harmony among people and inculcate ethical development.
- Design and conduct scientific inquiries and experimentation when required.
- Apply the principles of sound practice in relation to health, safety, human welfare and the environment in social sciences and humanities related industries.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Secure employment opportunities worthy of the degree earned.
Dean of the Faculty
- රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය සමාජීයවිද්යා හා මානවශාස්ත්ර පීඨය විසින් අන්තර් විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය ශිෂ්ය විද්යාර්ථීන් වෙනුවෙන් සංවිධානය කරනු ලබන දෙවන විශ්වවිද්යාල පර්යේෂණ සමුළුව 2022 සැප්තැම්බර් මස 20 වන දින පෙ. ව. 9.00ට සමාජීයවිද්යා හා මානවශාස්ත්ර පීඨ ප්රධාන ශාලාවේදී පැවැත්වේ. ” බහුවිධ විෂය දැනුම ගවේෂණය හා කුසලතා වර්ධනය උදෙසා පර්යේෂණ ” තේමාව මෙවර පර්යේෂණ සමුළුවේ තේමාව වේ. රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයේ උපකුලපතිනී මහාචාර්ය සංජීවනී ගිනිගද්දර මහත්මියගේ ප්රධානත්වයෙන් පර්යේෂණ සමුලුව ආරම්භවීමට නියමිතව ඇති අතර එහි ප්රධාන දේශනය පේරාදෙණිය විශ්වවිද්යාලයේ අධ්යාපන විද්යා අධ්යයනාංශයේ අංශාධිපති ආචාර්ය වෝල්ටර් සෙනෙවිරත්න මහතා විසින් සිදුකිරීමට නියමිතය. සමාරම්භක උත්සවයේ සියලු කටයුතු සූම් තාක්ෂණය ඔස්සේ විසුරුවා හරිනු ලබන අතර පහත සබැදිය ඔස්සේ ඔබට ඒ සදහා සම්බන්ධ වීමට හැකියාව පවතී. පර්යේෂණ සමුළුවේ සියලු කටයුතු පුරාවිද්යා හා උරුම කළමනාකරණ අධ්යයනාංශයේ අංශාධිපති මහාචාර්ය නුවන් අබේවර්ධන මහතාගේ අධීක්ෂණය යටතේ සිදුකෙරෙනු ඇත. Join Zoom Meetinghttps://learn.zoom.us/j/63874880097?pwd=dVVhL05keTZWNWVEbnQ3ak5FamY4dz09 Meeting ID: 638 7488 0097Passcode: Sympo@123... Read more...
- Scholarship Awarding Ceremony 2022 was held today (2022-05-30). 65 scholarships were awarded based on several criteria. Herbline awarded fifty (50) scholarships based on students’ outstanding academic achievements with the support of Sri Lanka. E-Vision Institute of Information Technology (Pvt) Ltd awarded five (5) scholarships to complete the information technology course offered. (Alumni Association, Professor Reverend O. 10 more scholarships awarded with the support of Chandrasiri Thero and other sponsors). Several guests have attended the event. * Vice Chancellor of RUSL. Professor Sanjeevani at fire * The Faculty, FSSH. Professor Thusitha Mendis. * The author and librarian of RSUL. * All Department Heads of FSSH, RUSL. * Mr. Sanjeeva Ganogoda (Director/Meheyum) and Mr. Saman Wijemanna (Chief/Training) from Herbline Sri Lanka on behalf of Priyadarshana Benthota Arachchi (Chief/ Training) * Mr. Sisil Ekanayake, Director of E-Vision Institute of Information Technology (Pvt) Ltd. *Mr. Manula Wickrama, Chairman, Alumni Association, FSSH, RUSL. * Professor Manjula Ranagalage, Chairman of Research and Publication Committee (FSSH) * Studies, non academic members and students of RUSL. The event was organized by the Research and Publishing Committee of FSSH, RUSL with the support of the study staff of the Department of Environmental Management. Thank you so much for your valuable contribution to make the event successful. Special thanks to Priyadarshana Bentota Arachchi, Sisil Ekanayake, Alumni Association, FSSH, RUSL, and Thusitha Jayawardena. We congratulate the scholarship winners.... Read more...
- Abstract Submission Deadline Extended Till 31st May 2022 Introduction: The Department of Environmental Management has organized the Second Environmental Management Undergraduate Research Symposium with the collaborations of the Sarasavi Nature Club, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka. This is a golden opportunity for undergraduate researchers to share their knowledge, experiences, and research outcomes and contribute to disseminating valuable, innovative findings to a well-read audience. The Undergraduate Research Symposium consists of verbal presentation sessions by students from all universities across the country. The panel of experts will review all submitted abstracts. Aim: The aim is to enhance research culture among undergraduates in meeting the challenges of environmental sustainability Main Theme: Staging Young Researchers for Environmental Management. Main Tracks Environmental ManagementClimate Change Waste Management Environmental EconomicsWater Resources Management Environmental Geography GIS/ RS for Environmental Management Disaster Management Tank Cascade SystemsEnvironmental ScienceEcotourismEnergy ManagementEnvironmental Impact Assessment & Environmental Governance Environmental Project Management Environmental Archaeology and Heritage Management Indigenous Knowledge for Environmental ManagementEnvironmental Technology Environmental CommunicationEnvironmental Sociology Forestry and Wildlife Management Sustainable Agriculture Abstracts are invited on the topics outlined above. Guidelines for Students The candidates should be a registered undergraduate of any Sri Lankan university.One candidate can submit only one abstract.All abstracts will be peer-reviewed and accepted or rejected by the editorial board under the recommendation of the review’s comment The principal author is expected to present the paper at the research symposium. Oral Presentations Guidelines All the authors should present their research using PowerPoint (MS Office). Details of the presentations are as follows: Duration of the presentation: 10 minutesQuestion time: 03 to 05 minutes Abstract Templates and Guidelines Authors are required to submit an abstract prepared according to the guidelines given in the following format. The abstract must report original research and be limited to 250-300 words to convey the study’s content. It should specifically contain the background and importance of the study, objectives, methodology, results, conclusions, and recommendations. Authors should include five keywords at the end of the abstract. All submissions should be typed on A4 size pages with 0.5 inches in the right and 1-inch margins in the other three sides and line space of 1.15. The draft can be submitted in English or Sinhala. For the title, the font size should be 12 and bold. Font size should be 10 for the body of the text. Font English – Times New Roman Sinhala – FMAbhayaDocument program format should be MS office Click here to download Abstract Format Publication The selected abstracts will be published in the symposium proceedings. Important Dates & Deadlines Deadline for Abstract Submission: 31/05/2022 Notification of Acceptance: 31/05/2022 Submission of Revised Abstracts: 15/06/2022 Conference Date: 05/07/2022 Contact Details Prof. Manjula Ranagalage Conference Chair Department of Environmental Management Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities Rajarata University of Sri Lanka Contact: 0717953995/ 0252266268 Mrs. BND Dissanayaka Conference Secretary Department of Environmental Management Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities Rajarata University of Sri Lanka Contact: 0702324559/ 0252266268... Read more...
- ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය භාෂා අධ්යයනාංශය විසින් සංවිධානය කෙරෙන “දිය කැට පහණ මංගල දියවර – 2022” නිර්මාණ හා සාහිත්ය විචාර තරගයේ සම්මාන ප්රදාන රාත්රිය 2022 මාර්තු මස 22වන දින පස්වරු 6.00 සිට ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය එළිමහන් රංගපීඨයේදී පැවැත්වේ. ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය ගරු උපකුලපතිතුමිය, සියලු පීඨාධිපතිවරුන්, සමාජීයවිද්යා හා මානව ශාස්ත්ර පීඨයේ සියලු අංශාධිපතිවරුන්, ආචාර්යවරුන්, විද්යාර්ථීන් ඇතුළු විශාල පිරිසකගේ සහභාගීත්වයෙන් පැවැත්වෙන මෙම සම්මාන ප්රදාන රාත්රිය ප්රවීණ රංගධර සතිස්චන්ද්ර එදිරිසිංහ, ප්රවීණ රංගධර රොඩ්නි වර්ණකුල, විශාරද තිස්ස ජයවර්ධන ඇතුළු ආරාධිත අමුත්තන්ගේ විශේෂාංවලින් වර්ණ ගැන්වෙනු ඇත. මෙදින දිය කැට පහණ ගායන තරග අංශයේ අවසාන වටය සජීවී තරගයක් ලෙස පැවැත්වීමට නියමිත අතර, තරගකරුවන් රැසක් අතුරින් අවසාන මහා වටයට සුදුසුකම් ලද විද්යාර්ථීන් සය දෙනෙකු දිය කැට පහණ ගායනාභිෂේකය සඳහා තරග වදිනු ඇත. සම්මාන ප්රදාන රාත්රිය මෙහෙයවන්නේ ජනප්රිය නිවේදන ශිල්පී හේෂාන් මල්ලව (Red Mic) විසිනි.... Read more...
- ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය භාෂා අධ්යයනාංශය විසින් සංවිධානය කෙරෙන “දිය කැට පහණ මංගල දියවර – 2022” නිර්මාණ හා සාහිත්ය විචාර තරගයේ සම්මාන ප්රදානෝත්සවයට සමගාමී ග්රන්ථ එළිදැක්වීම 2022 මාර්තු මස 22වන දින පස්වරු 3.00 සිට ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය උපාධි ප්රදාන ශාලාවේදී පැවැත්වේ. එදිනට ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය සමාජීය විද්යා හා මානව ශාස්ත්ර පීඨයේ භාෂා අධ්යයනාංශයේ විද්යාර්ථී භවන්ත ප්රමෝද් චන්ද්රරත්නගේ “චෙලම්” නවකථාව හා “අම්බපාලිට පිපුණු මල්” කාව්ය සංග්රහයත්, භාෂා අධ්යයනාංශයේ විද්යාර්ථී තිලංග දර්ශන දිසානායකගේ “කැණිමඬල” කෙටිකතා සංග්රහයත් එළිදැක්වීමට නියමිතය.... Read more...
- ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය භාෂා අධ්යයනාංශය විසින් සංවිධානය කෙරෙන “දිය කැට පහණ මංගල දියවර – 2022” නිර්මාණ හා සාහිත්ය විචාර තරගයේ ගායන අංශයේ අවසාන මහා තරගය 2022 මාර්තු මස 22වන දින පස්වරු 6.00 සිට ශ්රී ලංකා රජරට විශ්වවිද්යාලයීය එළිමහන් රංගපීඨයේදී පැවැත්වේ. තරගකරුවන් රැසක් අතුරින් අවසාන වටයට සුදුසුකම් ලද,– මල්ෂා රවින්දි– සහන් අරවින්ද– ප්රභාෂි මන්දීරා– කවිඳු ලක්ෂාන්– නිශාමිණී ගයත්රි– සමන් ජයතුංගයන විද්යාර්ථීන් එදිනට දිය කැට පහණ ගායනාභිෂේකය සඳහා තරග වදිනු ඇත.... Read more...
- (COVID 19 අර්බුදය මගින් සමාජයේ ඇතිකළ තාක්ෂණික නැඹුරුව) The COVID-19 pandemic has been called the ‘great accelerator’ of digital transformation, with technology at the forefront of countries’ response to the crisis. The context of the COVID-19 pandemic has emphasized that, more than ever, governments and businesses have to reinvent themselves through the fuller integration of digital technology in all aspects of their work, and that they must pursue long-term digital transformation in order to compete and operate both nationally and internationally. Otherwise, they risk falling behind, unable to find their place in an altered global landscape. The Sociology Association, Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka has organized a guest lecture as the fourth lecture of their guest lecture series on the topic of “The Technological Trend Created in Society by the COVID 19 Crisis.” conducted by Mr. Chamil Jeewantha, Software Architect at Multiplier on 1st of October 2021 at 6.30 p.m. onwards via zoom. You all are welcome to the lecture to share knowledge in this regards. Join Zoom Meeting https://learn.zoom.us/j/66937769078?pwd=WTRwTTIvaE45RGpBM1NBU2daZWszUT09 Meeting ID: 669 3776 9078Passcode: 5.Z$bbWa... Read more...
- Crimes Trends and Patterns in Contemporary Sri Lankan society Criminologists attempt to document patterns of crimes in order to understand their nature and the extent. Nevertheless, the public opinions claim that crimes are random acts. In fact, in recent past criminological inquiries have been shown that the crimes are not randomly emerged among people and groups. These Criminological researches on the patterns of crimes emphasized the relationship between criminal behavior along with time, space, and social structure. Hence, the Criminology has paid close attention to a variety of contextual and structural dimensions that underlie the basic patterns of crime. In feudal Sri Lankan society murders were unpremeditated manifestations of violence in disputes over land, women, or honors due to a person. But, with the open economy policy of Sri Lanka, the Western context has been created outstanding changes in the culture, as well as people, have changed their traditional goals and means on behalf of class competition in Sri Lankan society. Consequently, by today Crime is a severe problem of the country. Hence, we decided to reserve our Guest Lecture Series, No 03 to discuss the crimes trends and patterns in contemporary Sri Lanka. Therefore, we invited Mr. Sajeewa Meddewattha who is Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG), currently serves as Executive Director of Police Academy and former Director of Police Narcotic Range to discuss the crimes Trends and Patterns in Contemporary Sri Lanka. Thus, this intellectual discussion will be benefited for all university students, academics, and the general public to understand “How is the Crimes Trends and Patterns in Contemporary Sri Lankan society?” All are welcome to virtual discussion @ 6.30 pm on 3 rd September 2021 via Zoom technology. Join Zoom Meeting: https://learn.zoom.us/j/69047283485?pwd=YXg4dGpyOUhFa2FkdDI5R2JkL3prdz09 Meeting ID: 690 4728 3485Passcode: +byTA8!1 Dr. EMS. Ekanayake Senior Lecturer in Sociology and Criminology Head of the Department Department of Social Sciences, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka.... Read more...
- පර්යේෂණයන්හි නියුක්ත වීම සහ ඒ මගින් නව දැනුම ගවේෂණය වර්තමානය වන විට වැඩි වෙමින් පවතී. මේ සම්බන්ධයෙන් වැඩි දැනුමක් විශ්වවිද්යාල සිසුන්ට ලබා දීමේ අභිලාෂයෙන් පාරිසරික කළමනාකරණ අධ්යයනාංශය මඟින් මාර්ගගත දේශන මාලාවක් සංවිධානය කරනු ලබන අතර එහි පළමුවැන්න 2021 අගෝස්තු මස 11 වන දින පෙරවරු 11.00 සිට පස්වරු 1.00 පවත්වනු ලැබේ. පර්යේෂණයන්ට හිතැති ඔබට ආරාධනා!!! Resource Person: Professor Meththika Vithanage, University of Sri Jayawadepepura Zoom link: https://learn.zoom.us/j/6812171728?pwd=eStOVm5HbzJrL2lKNTBTUjJMTGVFUT09 Meeting ID: 681 217 1728 Passcode: DoEM@2021... Read more...
- Second Guest Lecture of the guest lecture series organized by the Sociology Association, department of Social Sciences. Tourism is one of the sectors most affected by the COVID 19 pandemic, impacting economics, livelihoods, public services and opportunities on all continents. The Sociology Association, Department of Social Sciences, Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka has organized a guest lecture as the second lecture of their guest lecture series on the topic of “The Impact of Covid 19 pandemic on the Tourism Industry in Sri Lanka” conducted by Ms. Preethi Gunarathne, senior lecturer in Tourism and Hospitality Management, Imperial Institute of Higher Education, Sri Lanka on 6th of August 2021 at 6.30 p.m. onwards via zoom technology. For that, you are cordially invited to participate for the meeting to share the knowledge in this regards. Join Zoom Meetinghttps://learn.zoom.us/j/63108810010?pwd=cHdub2hkU3JVZXpaaU52bnoreFVmZz09 Meeting ID: 631 0881 0010Passcode: Aqm+rMd4... Read more...
- Sarasavi Nature Club organized a school programme, “Haritha Poorna” in Rathmalgahawewa Maha Vidyalaya situated in Kahatagasdigiliya . Program was conducted with the advice and support received from Dr. JMSB Jayasundara, Head of the Department and Dr.PSK.Rajapakshe, Senior Treasurer of the Sarasavi Nature Club, This event mainly included tree planting programme with the support from Mahaweli Authority, awareness programme, leadership programme, exhibition of creative items made out of waste material, book donation, etc. Guest Lecturer on Climate Change was conducted by the Dr. JMSB Jayasundara and Leadership programme was conducted by the Mr. Jaliya Rathnayaka of the Carrier Guidance Unit of RUSL.... Read more...
- The 1st undergraduate Research Symposium (URSSSH) – 2020, organized by the Department of Social Sciences and Humanities was held on 03rd of March 2020 at the faculty premises. The theme of the Research Symposium was “Promoting Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research”. A total of 113 innovative research findings under the areas of Economics, Languages, Environmental Management, Sociology, Tourism Management, Mass Communication, History, Archeology and Heritage Management were presented. All the accepted abstracts on original research work were published in the Proceedings of the Undergraduate Research Symposium (URSSSH -2020). The Chief Guest of the symposium was Dr. B.A.Karunarathne, the Vice-Chancellor Rajarata University of Sri Lanka. The keynote address was delivered by Professor Sarath Wijesooriya, Department of Sinhala, Faculty of Arts, University of Colombo and Professor S.W.G.K Bulankulama, Head of the Department, Social Sciences, Rajarata University of Sri Lanka, Chaired the Symposium.... Read more...
- Sarasavi Nature Club, administered by the Department of Environmental Management organized a tree planting program in Rajarata University premises in collaboration with Mahaweli Authority of Sri Lanka on 1st of December 2019. In this event, over 100 trees including jack, Mee, Mango, Kubuk, Kaju and Karadha were planted.... Read more...
- Sarasavi Nature Club, Department of Environmental Management organized an awareness program on Waste Management Practices for the university students on 6th of January 2020.Sarasavi Nature Club, Department of Environmental Management organized an awareness program on Waste Management Practices for the university students on 6th of January 2020.... Read more...